UAN is an abbreviation of ‘Universal Account Number’. Generally this number contains 12 digits, this number is unique in nature. This number is being assigned to everyone who owns PFA (Provident Fund Account) and one who is contributing to the ‘Employee Provident Fund’. UAN (universal account number) Number is being issued by the Ministry of Employment and Labour under the Government of India.
Why UAN is being introduced?
Universal Account Number was introduced to improve the mechanism of EPFO from the way it used to work. Prior UAN, employees were assigned to a new PF number while changing the job. Which means if you change your job 5 times, every time you are supposed to given new PF number to claim your fund.
Now the introduction of UAN provides ease to the employees as well as organizations. So, there is no need of new account number, you just have to give your Universal Account Number at the time of claiming your PF.
What are the benefits of Universal Account Number?
- Tracking: now you can track your PF account if the entity made any changes in your Provident Fund details during your job.
- KYC become easy: it reduces your dependency on your employers to furnish your personal details. You can manage your details on your own.
- Transaction: with the introduction of UAN whole process has turned into online process. So you can check your balance and resolve any query related to your account sitting at one place.
- Assurance: UAN ensures that each PF account is genuine.
- Less involvement of Employer: with the introduction of UAN, the PF of the Old organization will be transferred to the new PF account after completion of KYC verification.
- Easily Manageable: Now employees receive SMS alert whenever the contribution is made by the employer once you registered at the UAN portal.
How Universal Account Number made easy to manage EPF?
UAN is very helpful in many ways in managing PF account
- UAN is being made portable for employee’s entire career.
- You just need to give your UAN details to your various employers, because all your accounts are linked to single UAN.
- You can easily download your UAN card by just registering at the EPFO member portal.
- You just need to upload your KYC documents on the portal and employer will verify them.
- Using your UAN you can check your balance by downloading the passbook.
How do you get to know your UAN?
You can get to know your UAN in two ways:
- Through the Employer
- Through UAN portal
Through the Employer
Generally, you can easily get your Universal Account Number from the employer, who is allotted by the EPFO. Many employers print the UAN number in salary slip.
Through UAN portal
Sometimes it is possible that you won’t get your Universal Account Number from the employer, in that situation you can get it from the UAN portal itself. To get it from the portal you need to follow some following steps:
Step1: Go to the UAN portal through the following link
Step2: Click the tab “know your UAN status”.
Step3: Select your state and EPFO office. Then enter your PF number or member ID (mentioned in your salary slip) along with other personal details.
Then enter the tab “Get Authorization Pin”.
Step4: after following the above steps you will receive a PIN on your mobile number. Now you have to enter that PIN and click on “Validate OTP and get UAN” button.
Step5: after this your Universal Account Number will be sent to your mobile number.
Now you must be thinking, what are the advantages of UAN to employees?
There are many advantages of having UAN:
- When you change the job new PF account will open, so every account will come under one umbrella of single UAN.
- Become easier to withdraw your fund via online mode using this number.
- Now you yourself ca transfer the PF balance from old account to new account using this unique Universal Account Number.
- You can download your PF statement instantly whenever you want in two ways: either through logging in using member ID or by sending SMS.
- Your UAN is linked with AAdhaar then you don’t have to validate your profile for new employer, every time when you change your job.
- UAN assures that the employer cannot withhold the PF money of their employees.
- Now employees can track that his or her employer is contributing its portion in the PF account.
What are the documents one requires to open UAN?
At the time of joining your first ever job in a registered company; you need some important documents to get you Universal Account Number.
The list of documents is as following:
- Bank Account detail: in your bank account detail, you need to provide your account number, IFSC code and Branch name.
- ID Proof: Any national identity card like Driving License, Passport, Voter ID, Aadhaar etc.
- Address Proof: Any recent utility bill in your name, rental agreement, ration card or any ID proof in which your current address is mentioned.
- PAN Card: you need to provide your PAN number in order to link it with UAN.
- Aadhaar Card: Aadhaar card is mandatory document, since it is linked with your bank account and mobile number.
To get more updates on UAN visit at sharpcareerfinancialupdates.