· US' Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) basketball player Brittney Griner,
· who was detained at Moscow's Sheremetyevo airport and later charged with illegal possession of cannabis,
· Arrives to a hearing at the Khimki Court, outside Moscow on August 4, 2022.
· Lawyers for US basketball star Brittney Griner, who is standing trial in Russia on drug charges, said on July 26, 2022 they hoped she would receive a "lenient" sentence.
· ESPN reporter T.J. Quinn asked Griner's lawyers if she's had an opportunity to play basketball since she was detained in February.
· It turns out the jail has a basketball hoop, but no ball.
· Griner's lawyers offered to bring her a ball.
· She ultimately declined because it was "too painful to think about."
· Earlier this week, Griner turned 32.
· She has an appeal hearing coming up on Tuesday.
· WNBA star Brittney Griner is currently serving a nine-year sentence in a Russian prison. As you'd expect, it hasn't been an easy stretch for her.